Clean drinking water in the poultry house is arguably the most important resource that we should provide. There are tons of tips and tricks out there to ensure that your water is the best water it can be, so we’ve narrowed it down to 4 main points. Check these things regularly and rest assured your chickens are happy, healthy, and hydrated.
- Check your water quality.
- Check it at the source. To effectively treat and manage your water you need to know what is in it to start with.
- Check it at the end of the line. Just because the incoming water is clean doesn’t mean the drinking water is clean. Test again at the last drinker to know what is going on inside the line.
- Cleaning and disinfection are not the same thing.
- If you only run a disinfectant, but are not cleaning the line, the biofilm that grows inside the water pipe is still there. Use a cleaner first to remove the biofilm, flush it well, and then disinfect to prevent or prolong its return.
- Activate the nipples when you are cleaning.
- Get the water treatment the whole way through the drinker by activating the trigger pin while cleaner and disinfectant are in the line. Use a broom or other tool to easily trigger the drinker while walking through the house.
- General maintenance.
- High quality water is still in effective if you are not maintaining the line in other ways as well. Check the line height and water pressure daily, making adjustments as needed. Observe the lines when you raise them and make sure they are level across the house. As birds grow, and they grow rapidly, these measurements will change. Daily checks make sure the birds always have what they need.
Water test kits are available at many hardware stores. Testing can also be done by your local extension agent or by a professional water quality service in your area.
Subscribe to our blog!